The use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) is now widespread in all scientific fields, and in some of them tends to completely replace those methodologies that did not use ICT. A sector that has been significantly affected by ICT is communication. The first section of the course focuses on basic IT principles, emphasizing the differences between analog and digital media. In the second section of the course, the basic forms of mass media are analyzed, emphasizing their timeless evolution, as well as the effect that electronic communications have on them. Particular emphasis is given on the impact of the large penetration of the Internet on the media. There are developments in television focusing more on digital television. In addition, developments in traditional telecommunications services (mobile or not) are analyzed, analyzing the impact of the Internet on them. Finally, new forms of communication are presented such as OTT (Over the Top) services which are based on the convergence of networks and services and new concepts such as those of the digital gap are analyzed.
The laboratory part of the course includes two sections:
- Basic IT tools: Learning the basic text-editing, spreadsheets and presentations, either purchasable software (for example MS Office, Excel, Power Point) or freeware (for example Open Office).
- Basic IT tools based on web applications and cloud computing services: Learning basic web services based on computing cloud, such as Google drive, Dropbox, Google docs / sheets / slides / forms.
Upon successful completion of the course students will acquire:
- Basic IT Principles on Digital Media.
- The intertemporal evolution of the media and the impact of the Internet.
- The intertemporal evolution of traditional telecommunications.
- The new forms of communication as they arise from the convening of networks and services.
- Basic functions of office applications / programs.
- The most popular web services / applications based on the cloud computing.
|Code||Course||Semester||C / Ε||Theory (hours)||Lab (hours)||ECTS|
|101Y||Fundamentals of Communication||1||C||4||5|
|102Y||English Terminology for Digital Media||1||C||4||5|
|103Y||Principles of Management for Businesses and Organizations||1||C||4||5|
|104Y||Social Media Marketing Ι||1||C||4||5|
|105Y||Information and Communication Technologies||1||C||2||2||5|