The course aims at introducing students to modern types of journalism and familiarizing them with online tools, but also understanding the role and function of new technologies, digital media and the importance of continuous informing. Introductory lectures emphasize on the Internet as a primary form of information, the concept of on-line information as well as the role of social media in the dissemination of information. Analyzing the concepts of text and hypertext, the properties of electronic texts, the basic tools of processing and posting journalistic data and presenting the ways and forms of their presentation on the Internet stand for key objectives of the course.
Additionally, the form, the content and the functionality of the homepage of online media, and its continuous development are analysed.
At the same time, sample analyzes of Greek online media are provided together with corresponding comparison with traditional media; for example, between writing an article and an electronic or fully online newspaper.
In the same context, extensive reference is provided to the communication between journalists and the public.
In practice, student websites are developed and operated, whilst collaborative work is taking place on a student website (e.g. studentmedia.gr). Finally, the course introduces those methods and ways of utilizing multimedia content (audio, image and video) in electronic and social media and the corresponding alterations in citizens’ information.
The laboratory part of the course includes the following sections:
- Search the Web for information.
- Writing and posting journalistic text on a website.
- Production and posting on the website of journalistic multimedia material (sound, image, video and graphic data infographics).
- Production and posting of journalistic content on social media.
Upon successful completion of the course students will be able to:
- Work on the principles of online journalism.
- Communicate own-produced content to inform citizens in comprehensive way.
- Search for the appropriate social media for each information task as well as interact with the public
- Use digital media in online journalism.
|Code||Course||Semester||C / Ε||Theory (hours)||Lab (hours)||ECTS|
|402Y||Framework of Electronic Communication Services Provision||4||C||4||5|
|403Y||Marketing Information Systems||4||C||4||5|
|406Y||Human-Computer Interaction II||4||C||2||2||5|