The subject of the course is the new forms of journalism and the relationship between new visualization technologies and information. Starting from theoretical approaches, it examines the ways of change within modern technologically advanced societies and the impact of these changes in media and communication, the Internet and interrelated political, social, cultural and economic developments as well as the role of journalist and new journalism practices. The course presents the notion of data journalism gaining popularity following the increase of open data in the Internet as well as sources of data, the methods of data analysis and inference extraction and the respective legal framework for the extraction, use, analysis and production of new data. The objective of the course is t enable journalist to find, adapt, visualize and interpret data by providing the theoretical basis and the necessary technical skills. Finally, this course trains students in the representative media, attempting to familiarize students with the argumentation, narration and description of news and events in the new online environment.
The lab addresses the following topics:
- Mining and processing of journalistic data.
- Creating visualizations from journalistic data.
- Use of data visualization applications.
- Production and posting of journalistic data and interactive diagrams on informative visualization website and social media.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to know:
- The notion, principles and use of data journalism and their application.
- Communicate in appropriate ways own produced content to inform citizens.
- Search for the appropriate charts and visualizations for each update and interact with users.
- Use digital media in data journalism.
|Code||Course||Semester||C / Ε||Theory (hours)||Lab (hours)||ECTS|
|Selection 2 out of 4|
|803EY||Digital Media in Education||8||Ε||3||5|
|Selection 1 out of 3|
|807EY||Three-Dimensional (3D) Computer Graphics||8||Ε||2||2||5|
|808EY||Digital Game-Based Learning||8||Ε||2||2||5|