Dimitris Ampeliotis is an Assistant Professor at the Digital Media and Communication Department, Ionian University, since March 2021. Also, he is an associate researcher at the University of Patras, collaborating with (a) the Computer Engineering and Informatics Department, Signal Processing and Communications Lab, (b) the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Digital Signal and Image Processing Laboratory, (c) Materials Science Department, Applied and Industrial Photonics Group and (d) School of Medicine, Department of Medical Physics, Biomedical Technology Unit.
He received the Diploma degree in computer engineering and informatics, the M.Sc. degree in signal processing, and the Ph.D. degree in signal processing and communications, all from the University of Patras, Greece, in 2002, 2004 and 2009, respectively. He has worked in several European and National research projects at the Research Academic Computer Technology Institute (RACTI), the University of Patras, the National Observatory of Athens and the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
He has worked for several years as an adjunct faculty at the Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Messolonghi, the TEI of Western Greece and many departments of the University of Patras. Since 2021, he also teaches at the post-graduate program “Information Processing Systems and Machine Intelligence”, at the University of Patras.
His research interests are in the area of statistical processing of multimedia signals and machine learning, with an emphasis on distributed algorithms. In more detail, his research interests include:
- Distributed optimization algorithms for estimation, detection and machine learning problems
- Distributed consensus algorithms and information diffusion mechanisms in networks
- Compressed sensing / sparse representation and dictionary learning algorithms
- Cooperative and non-cooperative game theory
- Light propagation simulation methods (Fourier Optics) and inverse problems in optics
- Processing of medical and hyper-spectral images
- Discrimination of photographs from computer generated photo-realistic images
- Signal processing for communications (Turbo equalization)
He is a regular reviewer for the international conferences ICASSP, GlobalSIP, ICC, EUSIPCO, PIMRC, SIRS, ICT and others, and for the scientific journals IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, IEEE Access, Signal Processing (Elsevier), EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing and others. Also, he serves as a topic editor for the Journal of Imaging (MDPI).
Dr. Ampeliotis is a member of the IEEE (Signal Processing Society), a member of EURASIP and a member of the Technical Chamber of Greece.
More info can be found at https://dimitris-ampeliotis.github.io/